Friday, April 3, 2009

Our Loss

On Wednesday I went to my regular prenatal check-up. Fortunately Kasey happened to have the day off and decided to come with me.(Hoping that maybe we would get to have the ultrasound, we have all been very anxious to find out the sex of the baby.) At the beginning of the office visit everything seemed to be going fine, until the doctor tried finding a heart beat. He tried and tried and I began to get nervous. He took us over to do an in office ultrasound. There was nothing but silence in the room. He found nothing beating, and suspected that the baby had had a cord injury. We were sent to the hospital for a more in depth ultrasound. Unfortunately the tech could only confirm what our doctor had thought. I had spoke to my doctor and had in the back of my mind prepared myself for a D&C. However, because of the length of my pregnancy being 18 weeks he told me that the baby would be to big to do that and that they needed to induce labor and prepare for a delivery. I was so shocked! A silent delivery is something that we had never had before. Within an hour of the ultrasound I was being prepped for the event. Having had three children before I kinda knew what to expect, at least what labor and delivery meant. Thank goodness that I didn't have to fully dilate, or have an epidural. After about 20 min of contractions my water broke and the baby soon followed. I couldn't look. I knew that I wasn't done and the doctor prepared me for the worst. The placenta wouldn't detach and I couldn't relax despite the drugs and the pain. It was really the worst part. After a few hours of rest and waiting for my mom to arrive, Kasey and I were finally brave enough to see our little boy. He was wrapped in a beautiful "angel" blanket that had been donated by a women's group here in St. George. We were given a keepsake card with his height, weight and hand and foot prints. Tiny, tiny is all I could think. He was 3.1 ounces and only 7.1 inches long. Long fingers and blue eyes just like our other kids. Kasey gave him a beautiful fathers blessing and that really helped us have some closer. I am so glad that our religious beliefs are that they we know in the hear after we will have the baby there to greet us and raise up too. Having this knowledge really helps with the grief. I just want everyone to know that we are doing OK, and in our minds we just say, "We thought we were going to have a baby, but we had a angel instead."

6 comments:

Leah said...

We love you Amber, thank you for sharing your story, I am a mess with tears now but it was really nicely written. We can't wait to see you next week, really we are just counting the days and can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Amber you are amazing!! You are so strong and I admire you for that.. You guys are in our prays and we are here for you for anything you may need.. Again you are an angel yourself in being so strong, hope recovery goes well we love you guys!

Raelyn Austin said...

Amber that is the most beautiful and sad story I have ever heard. You are AMAZING!!! I am so sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Lisa said...

I cry with you as I can honestly say I know how you feel. My last miscarriage being three months pregnant- it was sad to see that ultrasound and see that it was really a baby with arms and legs and everything. I am glad to know that the Lord knows what is best and that he supports us through our pain. We are thinking of you.

Riggs Rascals said...

Thank you for posting, my heart aches for you. If you need anything let me know, meanwhile you are in my heart and prayers.

Stephanie said...

Amber,

You and Kasy are such an amazing couple and have such a beautiful family.

Your strength and grace is so inspiring, I couldn't help but cry while reading your story. Your words and thoughts are so touching and beautiful. You are such a wonderful Mother.

I'll be thinking of you and your family. I'm just across the way so please don't hesitiate if you need anything.

Love Stephanie

On our Wedding Day!

On our Wedding Day!
We look so young!

Brotherly Love

Brotherly Love
Kaiden and Carter